Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead in /homepages/13/d168233176/htdocs/andrellsitev3/forum/newforum/viewtopic.php on line 988

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead in /homepages/13/d168233176/htdocs/andrellsitev3/forum/newforum/viewtopic.php on line 988
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:988)
Andrell Education Ltd Forums - View topic - Boosting my level 2 writers to a level 3
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Boosting my level 2 writers to a level 3 

Post Boosting my level 2 writers to a level 3
There are 9 or 10 children in my year 4 class that are only at a level 2 in their writing.

How can I help them up to a level 3?

We already do Big Writing and they know their writing targets but how can I ensure progression?

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:30 pm

Post Hi CO
Depends what SORT of 2s they are. Level 2 is the most complex level in all the scale. Best thing to do is send me 2 or 3 and I will get Curtis to post them on site with pointers so others can share. Assume you have Year 2.

Basically - for the 3 you need to be proactive on:

1. Side of A4 ish
2. 60 to 80% accurate basic skills
3. Range of puctuation includes ? ! ...
4. Some wow words (may not be spelt correctly)
5. Some power openers

Give kids 3 pieces of writing back that are in 3 different text types. Get them to colour wow words pink, power openers blue and one each of the SORTS of punctuation yellow. Compare to see if they are transferring well and compare with partner. Compare basic skills. Have you used the child friendly targets from the gold book to scaffold your teaching and discussions with children?

Let me know if you want to send three. Good luck, Ros :lol:

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:32 pm
Profile WWW

I am starting with my Intervention prisms tomorrow - I am willing to adapt them in some way for Big Writing but at this moment I do not think I am ever going to get the books back so will have to order a new set for my home!

Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:46 pm

Ros these pupils are Year 4 although guess doesnt matther. CAptain Oats would be good if you shared some work with Ros then she can advise you and share this with us all

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:29 pm

Post Hi Bluerose
You're right Blurose, in terms of levels it doesn't matter - a 2 is a 2 is a 2! Do agree about a site for levelled work with notes... have talked about it before with Curtis.
I have a few assessed SATs I could post quickly if Curtis can reassure us that they will get on the web quickly. Otherwise the best route is any of you sending problem pieces (at any level) and we post the piece, the assessment and the next steps. PLease remember that pieces over a 2C need length for accurate assessment, close to a side preferably.

On the road til Firday night after tomorrow lunch. Ros :lol:

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:42 pm
Profile WWW

I started in September with 2a writers in my yr 6 class - an oracy based approach gives them confidence and I can say to them that in their head and out loud they are level 4 but it is still coming through slowly in their written work. They have now moved to being level 3b writers but I feel we have a period of consolidation and confidence boosting between now and Christmas. I envisage that by the end of January they will be 3a writers and should by Sats be level 4 writers but this does take a lot of boosting of self esteem as children who reach yr 6 and are still not level 3 writers have it drummed into their heads that they are no good so you hhave to undo all of that and rebuild them!
You have to work out their strengths (and praise, praise, praise) and what is emerging from their writing and what they need to do - analysis of their writing like this for a whole class takes me about 6 hours as it is written down on the back of their work so when they do their next piece they have their last piece in front of them so they can make progress.
I also use drafting - and do a tickled pink mark - this is a quick mark techniques highlight pink bits you like and bits in reen for areas of growth.
Use uplevelling - I really see the value of this!

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]